Getting and Keeping Them
Love is the source of emotional oxygen that keeps humanity alive and well. As long as there are human beings, there will be love.
Why are some couples happier in love than others? Although love has often been compared to passionate romance, it is really much more than infatuation. Love can come in many forms, for example, a person can experience emotional intimacy, platonic friendship, “friends with benefits,” infatuation, parentchild concerns and healthy patterns of bonded love.
How do we know when we have found healthy love? What makes love function in a truly satisfying way? While romantic love has some special characteristics, loving relationships of all types (spouse, partner, lover, parent, child, or friend) have some core qualities that set them apart.
At the heart of love is:
- Being able to depend on one another in times of need.
- Mutual understanding and sharing.
- Giving and receiving emotional support.
- Mutually supporting one another's welfare.
- Enjoying one another’s company.